It’s hard to believe we’re halfway through the One Room Challenge! We did a ton of work in week two and now, I feel like we’re playing the waiting game. Although I don’t have a ton of progress shots for you this week, I’ve got lots of updates! Here’s where we’re at so far:
- Paint (Farrow & Ball’s ‘All White’ really gave the room a fresh look, remember the before?!)
- New hard wood laminate flooring, layered with this lovely Braided Jute Rug from eSaleRugs
- New hardware on storage room door and updated switch plate and outlet covers
- All furniture and decor ordered, mostly received
- Hang wallpaper
- Build IKEA shelving and upgrade with new hardware (tutorial to come!), definitely procrastinating on this one
- Install custom baby gate at the stairway entry
- Install new pendant at the stairway entry
- Un-pack my gorgeous new Colette Desk from Ave Home (I cannot wait to show you!)
- Install this sleek new fan from Haiku
- Possibly update drapery (waiting to see how wallpaper looks)
- Hang Minted art on statement wall
- Set up delivery date for seating area furniture
- Order a few new office accessories and decor items
- Style, style, style it all!
The wallpaper hanger is coming to install this morning and I can. not. wait. This statement wall is going to add some nice texture to the space and really bring it all together! I went with this herringbone design by Serena & Lily.
I chose two beautiful black and white prints from Minted to hang on the statement wall. Black and white photography is my jam and I wanted to keep this wall neutral with all of the fun texture happening. I chose raw wood frames to tie in with my Colette Desk from Ave Home.
Next up, I’ve got to tackle the IKEA shelving. SO many pieces you guys. I’m hoping it looks way more involved than it really is, but I think this one needs to happen with a glass (or two) of rosé!
Then, I’m going to recruit my husband to help me move the old desk and bed, along with alllll of that other stuff you see below, which will make way for the new desk and seating area.
The center of the room currently features a pendant I purchased a while ago, but we’ll be removing that to make room for this stunning Haiku fan. Shawn and I were actually first introduced to Haiku fans when we went on our honeymoon at Malliouhana in Anguilla. The exact Haiku fan we’re getting was in our room and we fell in LOVE with it! It’s seriously high tech you guys. I’ll dive more into it when we do the final reveal and you can feast your eyes on it in the completed space.
In week one, I talked a bit about how I want this space to serve our one year old son as well. I know he’ll want to come up and ‘work’ with mama when I’m putting in extra hours here and there. He’s not quite at the stage of walking up and down stairs on his own (and won’t be for a while) so we decided it’d be a good idea to install a baby gate. BUT, I cringed at the idea of designing this whole room only to put up an ugly gate… so, we’re having a custom gate built! Another small detail that will make a huge statement and striking first impression before you even walk into the room.
The stairway entry also has an old pendant that we’re ditching. It reminds me of Game of Thrones and that is SO not the look I’m going for. I’ve got a perfect, simple and modern black pendant that will compliment the fresh look of this space while giving it some contrast.
That’s all for this week! Check back in next week to see how it’s all coming along. xo, Melissa
Follow along with all of the other talented designers participating!
Apartment 34 | Beginning in the Middle | Coco & Jack | The English Room | The Gold Hive
Gray Malin | Jenna Sue Design | Jojotastic | Kelly Rogers Int. | Linda Holt | Marcus Design
Michelle Gage | Natasha Habermann | The Painted House | Rambling Renovators
Sacramento Street | Shannon Claire | Sketch 42 | Stephanie Kraus
Media Partner House Beautiful | TM by ORC